Thursday, October 8, 2015

Night 6: Hellraiser


"An unfaithful wife encounters the zombie of her dead lover; demons are pursuing him after he escaped their sadomasochistic underworld."

I have a confession to make... I had never watched Hellraiser, nor any of it's 80 sequels, before now. I had no idea what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. I had always thought Pinhead was a Michael Myers/Jason type, stalking and torturing his victims. Little did I know... 

I get the descriptions I use straight from IMDB. If I read this before watching, I would've thought this was a mistake. There is no way someone read this and thought, "That will make an awesome movie!" I guess they were right...? 

I'm going to give this classic a personal creep-out score of 6. The gore was great. The acting was laughable. The story was insane. What creeped me out enough to overlook these things was, well, remember when I said I hate crawling things? Well seeing a half-formed, skinless body scurrying across the floor doesn't help. 

Once again, I was disgusted by the rando, lame human, Larry. Whilst trying to get laid, his wife is screaming in pure horror, "No!" I mean, she wasn't really yelling at him, but still. If a woman sounds that horrified and is screaming 'No," stop. Please, just stop. And after you stop, don't say, "I just don't get you!" and run off pouting. Ugh. This was an OK scene in 1987. Isn't that disgusting? That and when Julia licked Franks bloody guts finger... and let his slimy hand grope her. Get yo'self some standards, girl. 

One thing that made me chuckle was Julia carrying that man's body out of Frank's room to the other room... so effortlessly! Like it was a large body pillow. Why couldn't she drag it? It didn't have blood to smear around. Oh, and also the great line, "Don't look at me!" That voice... He also looked like Jim Carrey in The Mask. 

I read the director ran out of money for the last special effects, so he and another guy had to create them by hand one drunken weekend. Now I was half asleep when these occurred, but I'll give him extra points for creativity and resourcefulness. He finished his damn movie. That's already a million times more than I've done after a drunken weekend. 

Also, all the Cenobites reminded me of Dick Tracy characters. 

Now, is there a BEST Hellraiser movie? Which is your favorite? Should I watch any of them? All of them? Not waste my time? Let me know! This is one series I haven't indulged in yet. I will definitely have to watch this one again. But I bet when I attempt to, it won't be on Netflix. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment